Friday, September 17, 2010

Dinner with Lennox

  It is springtime and the roses are blooming, but a cool breeze still chills the air, reminding you that winter isn't very long gone. Thus, Margaret wears long sleeves as she dresses for dinner with an old friend from London. Her mother has stressed all day over the properness of their country fare; she is worried that Mr. Lennox, a lawyer of high standing, will think their hospitality 'quaint' and not up to London standards. But Lennox cares little for the food (which is very good) or the smallness of the room (which is cozy), but saves his attention and compliments for the young lady he came so far to visit.
  Margaret, dressed in this simple silk afternoon gown. A ribbon and cameo adorn her elegant neck, while the neckline modestly comes up to meet the choker. The skirt is full and without adornment. In her hand she carries a small bouquet of roses from the garden.

read the book to find out what happens next!

Just out of curiosity, have any of you read (or even heard of) North and South? Or any of Elizabeth Gaskell's other works?


Click for full-size image
Click for PDF to print

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this dress! It's got a simple elegance about it that seems to suit Margaret. I started to watch the miniseries of North and South on Sunday with Alexis, and so far it's pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm glad you're enjoying it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just lovely, Toria! Makes me want to do a bunch of period dresses for Autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore the sleeves. And yes, I have seen the mini-series they done of North and South. It made me cry. I never read the book... I think I was worried it would also make me cry. I do so much reading for class, so I avoid anything "serious" when I have the chance to read for pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard of Elizabeth Gaskell's works, but not North and South. I think I will have to get it from the library.... =]

    Beautiful dress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I reccomend the book (and movie), it is kinda slow, but a beautiful story :) and it made me cry too... but the ending is so worth it!

    ReplyDelete