Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Tea Time

Here is a simple day dress for Cora. She has plenty of gorgeous ballgowns, but for everyday uses she needs a basic gown that, while asthetically pleasing, will be practical. It has a loose fitting bodice, high neck, 3/4 length sleeves. A wide laced belt pulls the waistline in according to fashion. The hem is elegantly trimmed with a large swath of lace.

Click for full-size image

------------------------------------------------------------

Just for fun, here is an excerpt of Cora's story:

Several days later Cora returned to her room after the noon meal. A letter addressed to her was set upon her pillow.
“Gillian?” She called, “Has a messenger been by?”
“I don’t think so.” Replied the maid from the adjoining room. “I haven’t heard his knock, at least.” She entered the bedroom, “I think I’ll lay down for a bit if you don’t need me, Cora.”
“That’s fine.” Cora said absentmindedly, she picked up the letter. Her name was written in fine cursive on the front, but there was no indication of the sender. The wax seal was impressed a blank circle. Cora carefully pulled the wax from the paper and unfolded the missive.
My dear Cora, (it read)
I learned of your new appointment with great misgivings. There are things happening in the palace that are beyond the understanding of either of us. I must meet with you so I may speak candidly! I will wait on the eastern ridge; please come as soon as you can.
Your brother, Daenar
Cora re-read the letter. How had he gotten it on her bed? Had he been in the room? Her heart beat quickly at the thought of her brother going to such dangerous extremes.
Cora grabbed a thick cloak from her wardrobe and ran downstairs.
Lord Viharet was in the hallway, shaking rain off his hair. It dripped into muddy puddles on the wood plank flooring. “Going somewhere, Lady Cora?” He inquired.
“Oh, I- that is- I was, but- is it raining?” She fumbled.
“Quite the downpour.” He assured.
Cora walked into the east parlor and stared out the window. Sure enough the rain came from heaven as though the sky had been torn and all the waters above were let loose.
Lord Viharet sneezed behind her. “May I call a maid for tea?”
“Oh! I beg your pardon. I am being inhospitable. Let me take your cloak; tea will be along shortly.” Cora gathered his wet over-clothes and hung them in the hall with her own dry cape.
A few minutes later she re-entered the parlor with a tea tray.
Lord Viharet glanced up in surprise. He rose and took the tray from her. “Allow me, my lady. Is there no servant to do this for you?”
“Gillian is napping, Cook is visiting family, and the maids are busy cleaning elsewhere.” Cora replied with a sunny smile. “But I am used to serving; it is more comfortable for me to serve than to be served. Would you like milk or sugar in your tea?”
“Both. I keep forgetting your prior employment. You have assimilated into a lady of means so well I must remind myself that I have hired you to play the role.” Lord Viharet graciously accepted a teacup and saucer from her.

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, I like it! The waist detail is really well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, pretty dress! And I love getting the excerpts from her story, it makes it more interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete